The pre-school provides a fun, friendly, well-organised environment for your child to develop their skills through playtime and interaction with the other children.
We are open every weekday for all children aged from 2 years to 4-5 years, with sessions managed by qualified and caring staff. Most children who attend Scamps go on to become pupils at the Spetisbury School with their friends.
In the final term before starting school, a weekly Rising Fives session is provided for those children who will start school in the following term. The aim of these sessions is to help the children with the transition to primary school by extending the activities already offered at pre-school, with more emphasis on formal working in small groups, and introduces routines similar to those encountered at school. The children will also be introduced to the teachers so they become familiar and comfortable with them before starting school.
We welcome your child to attend as many sessions as are available in order to help them settle in and feel comfortable. Please do not hesitate to telephone us on 01258 451413 to organise an initial visit. We offer two free settling-in sessions before your child starts their time with us.
When your child starts pre-school, you will be given an admission form to complete. If the information on this changes please let us know. It is vital that we have up-to-date emergency contact numbers.
Scamps sessions begin at 09:00 and 12:30 and end at 12:00 and 15:00 respectively. Prompt arrival is greatly appreciated and encourages the children to form positive habits ready for school. Children should wear old clothes, although aprons are used for messy play and all of our paint and glue is washable. You are welcome to stay for as many sessions as you need to settle your child; we work with you and your child so you are able to attend the sessions for as long as they feel comfortable and at ease. Some children settle quickly, others take longer. Don’t worry if it takes your child longer than some. Feel free to discuss any worries or concerns with the Pre-school Manager.
Do say goodbye to your child when you leave and tell a member of staff you are going so we can keep an eye on him/her and help with distraction or a cuddle if necessary. Make sure you collect your child on time. If your child is being collected by someone other than yourself they will need to give Scamps staff the correct password and be told in advance that it will be someone else who will be collecting your child. If your child is not collected by 15:15, they will be taken to the Treehouse Club where additional charges will be applied.
If you would like any extra sessions on top of your child’s normal sessions, please ask a member of staff. These additional sessions are subject to availability so always check.
We also have Scamps Pre-school t-shirts and sweatshirts available to buy for £5.00 and £9.00 respectively. These are a great way of helping children feel more settled at pre-school.
- 08:50 – 09.00 – Doors open, children arrive and complete self-registration.
- 09:00 – 09:15 – Registration and toileting
- 09:15- 11:30 – Free flow, free play and art activity. Free flow is where the children can choose whether they want to play inside or out. We have bats and balls, hoops, tricycles and games take place outside, weather permitting. Free play is where the children can choose to play with any toys they would like. Table top toys, floor toys and a role play area are provided. Also, there will always be an art activity on offer. The sessions are planned, however, the children know that they have a choice about what they play with and the plans are used as a guide.
- 10:00 – 11:00 – Open snack. The children can decide within this hour when they would like to eat and have a drink. We provide a range of snacks with fruit and veg, encouraging healthy eating. The children are encouraged to pour their own drinks (milk or water) and take their own snack. Free flow continues during snack time.
- 11:25 – Tidy up time
- 11:30 – Circle time. This is an opportunity to practise our letters and sounds, sing songs, look at books together, share in the adventures of Simon Scamps and explore our chatter boxes. Children going home start to collect their coats and are encouraged to check their drawers then sit at the tables.
- 11:45 – Dough gym
Lunchtime 12:00 – 12:30
- 12:00 – Home for morning children / children arrive / lunchtime
- 12:30 – 12:45 – Quiet play
- 12:45 – Registration and toileting
- 13:00 – 14:45 – Free flow/free play/art activity
- 13:45 – 14.15 – Open snack
- 14:45 – Circle time
- 15:00 – Home time
- Doors open at 08:50 and session starts at 09:00. At the end of the day, you may collect your child at any time from 15:00;
- For those children staying for lunch, parents/carers must provide a lunch box for them. Scamps do not provide this;
- You are encouraged to settle your child before leaving them. Staff will always be available to assist with this.